Monday, March 9, 2009

Paris (Going to be long but Fun!)

So we left early Friday morning and got on the Eurostar! This is the train that goes through the chunnel to France. The ride was fun and enjoyable, but definitely got some sleep for the long day that was to come. As soon as we got off the train we got on a coach bus and went on a three hour tour of Paris, highlighting all the major sights that we should see while in Paris. Then we were dropped off at the hotel and got 30 minutes to unpack and freshen up. Then we went with our tour guide Gary on a guided tour of the Latin Quarter. This included my first ride on the metro in Paris which is much nastier than the tube here in london. Just so you know, if you smell something nasty it might be the dog pee on the walls. The tour included the church from the Davinci code where we got the true story of the rose line and what it means. Basically it is used to tell the seasons and time, nothing to do with what the book actually states. We then walked across other parts of London to find the house of senate, the Pantheon and Notre Dame!!!! It was late so we did not get to go in but do not worry, we will work that in soon! Then we found out that the Louvre was open for free to students under 26 until 10pm on Friday! So we got to see the Mona Lisa, Egyptian art, and Napolean's apartments. All of the above were absolutely amazing and gorgeous. Then we were all exhausted so we found a mall cafe, got desert, planned out Saturday and went back to the hotel and crashed!

Ok, Saturday was epic in many ways! First thing, we decided to claim the Eiffel Tower. And yes, I climbed all 668 stairs to the second floor. I was not a pansy and I did not take the elevator. My calfs did hurt the rest of the weekend, but it was so worth it. the view was absolutely amazing. I saw so many things from above that I would have never seen without climbing it. I saw a great view of their river Seine and saw the statue of Liberty that they made for themselves after giving the US the first one. After finally getting back down from the top, I decided it would be a good idea to fill the empty space i made from walking with French Fries. Yes, it was a staple that had to be done. Next we made it over to The Invalides, which is where Napolean was buried. We did not go inside because of time and money, but the outside was absolutely fantastic. Next, we finally got back over to see Notre Dame. I have never seen such a gorgeous cathedral. Well I guess Canterbury holds it own, but Notre Dame was great. Next we went to meet our tour guide Gary for another guided tour. This time we saw the Moulin Rouge and Sacre Coeur. Sacre Coeur is a most amazingly beautiful church that has a painting of Jesus on the ceiling as you walk in with open arms inviting you into the church. Really cool. Along this walking tour is where the epicness occurred. I went to delete a picture on my camera and my finger slipped. And yes it happened, all 390 pictures were deleted from my camera. Not to worry. I have made contacts and since I took no more pictures on my camera, I can buy a card reader that can retrieve those pictures when I get back to the US. I know, no pictures for now, but I will let you have them when I get them in May. Ok so now that that is over, we then found a place to get French Onion Soup. P.S. in France it is only Onion Soup!! HAHA! Then the most shocking and amazing of all happened. Every on the hour for five minutes the Eiffel Tour sparkles. It is indescribable how magnificently cool the lights were as the bounced off of buildings surrounding the tower. Of course we finished off our night with a Parisian Crepe. I got a chocolate and almond crepe and it was scrumptous. That was Saturday.

Sunday we woke up and it was raining so that was said, but you only get to Paris once in a lifetime, at least maybe I think that because on a teacher salary I might not get there again. We started at the gardens of the Louvre and walked down the famous and widest street in the world Champs Elysees. It was cold and wet but fun. We stopped periodically in shops to get out of the rain but finally made it to the Arc de Triumphe. It was really cool to actually see this in person after learning of it in history class. After this we decided to go on a boat tour of the river Seine. it took us by boat to see al the best tourist sights one more time before leaving Paris. of course no boat ride was complete without cheese and a fresh baguette. We then travelled back to the hotel and waited for our bus back to the train and then returned to London.

Overall Paris Notes:
- Mean Camera
- Gypsies are crazy
- Everything is Gorgeous
- I know why it is the city of Love
- Delicious Food

AU REVOIR!

No comments:

Post a Comment