Monday, February 23, 2009

Burlington Danes School

Today was the first day of our practicum. Yes, given by the title of my blog I am in a school called Burlington Danes School. Something close to home, well my school home. We took a forty-minute tube ride to our school and walked in with all the children. In the courtyard of the school all the children were joining each other in conversation and playing ping pong. We met with the assistant principal who helped us to find our teachers among the kids out in the courtyard. Most shockingly, the head teacher (principal) blew a whistle when the school bell rang and all the students ran to their teacher and got in lines. At this point each teacher was directed to go down the line of their students and check uniforms. The grade nine kids who I was with were congratulated for their uniform success because there were only three people with bad uniforms compared to the twenty last week. After the uniform check we continued inside for a day starter with the head of grade nine. Here is where I first encountered the school being based on the Church of England. They had prayer before the assembly began and the head teacher stood and made sure every head was bowed before he began.

After the assembly, which happens every morning, we continued to classes. Our teacher, Mr. Thomas, was awesome. He really knew how to keep the discipline under control in the classroom. Then we took a break in the teacher’s lounge that was HUGE! We then had another class. This time I actually got to walk around and help students. This was comical because the students finally realized I was from the US and kept calling me back just to hear my accent. Lunchtime came next, and I sat at the teacher table for the first time in my life. SO COOL! After lunch we received a tour of the school by the assistant principal and headed back to our classes for the last period of the day. In all, this day was awesome and I love the schools here. Students are a little more rambunctious, but overall really awesome. Have a good day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment