Thursday, February 5, 2009

Time to Explore and Discover

What an eventful day. It all started with my alarm at 8am. I got up and got a shower. I know why tell this detail, but showering here is a little different. The water temperature does not follow the normal way it would in the United States. The more you turn each hot or cold knob the worse it gets when the water starts to change temperature. Yes, my water changes temperature every 10 seconds from whatever hot I have it on to whatever cold I have it on. Therefore, I have learned to barely turn each knob and the water stays a pretty neutral temperature. Other than that, I wrote my paper for my GST.
Today we actually got to go to our school building. We had London orientation with the director of our program Lisa Thompson. Once again we got the do’s and don’ts, but this time it was with safety and how the tube. Speaking of the tube, I have found myself walking around saying “Mind the Gap”, which to Londoners means don’t trip or fall in the crack between the tube and the sidewalk. Back to the orientation, I actually got a key for the school building and we got a pamphlet with information on how to get student discounts through our school. The best of these discounts would be that almost any ticket to see musicals and show like Wicked and Grease are only 24 pounds (36 Dollars) where they would normally be 60 pounds.

After all this we decided to go on an adventure. Therefore, we took a double-decker bus towards Oxford Street, which is where all the main shopping in London is. However, we got on the bus and one stop later it was out of service. Therefore, we were left at a bus stop knowing not what to do. When we finally found another bus stop around the corner we had to wait for a bus for 30 minutes. Once we finally got on the bus we headed to Oxford Street. Little did we know that the store we wanted to go to was on the opposite end of the street. Therefore we walked down Oxford for an hour until we found it. The adventure was fun, and we got to see a lot of London. I also went to my first pub tonight. It was fun to experience Londoners in their social environment and not in the tube where they DO NOT talk. Anyways, today was a great learning experience and I got to spend a lot more time wandering. Looking forward to my bus tour and walking tours of London tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. You MOST DEFINITELY have to go see Wicked. It's probably one of the greatest musicals ever. I loved it. So you have to go.

    ReplyDelete